We all love to celebrate the 4th of July with family, friends, food, and fireworks. But all too often the festivities turn tragic on the nation's roads. This American holiday is also one of the deadliest holidays of the year due to impaired-driving crashes.
IMPAIRED DRIVING FACTS
• An alcohol-related crash happens every 4 hours in Kansas.
• Over the last 5-years, 139 crashes happened during the 4th of July holiday period that were alcohol-related.
• 22% of all Kansas traffic fatalities in 2018 were alcohol-impaired
• Driving impaired can really cost you. Along with a minimum of 48 hours in jail and a suspended license, you could also spend, on average, $10,000. *This factors in bail, fines, court fees, ignition interlock installation/monthly fees and payment for reinstating your license.
• Drunk driving amounts to 23% of Kansas' crash cost
• The average alcohol-related fatality in Kansas costs 3.4 million
IMPAIRED DRIVING MYTH BUSTING
• "AS LONG AS I'M BELOW 0.08, THERE IS NO RISK." You could be impaired even if your blood alcohol concentration is low, and you could even be arrested with a blood alcohol concentration below 0.08 • "When you're convicted of drunk driving, you only have to pay a fine and that's it." A DUI conviction can cost you a lot more than just a fine. Along with the fine you will pay court fees, drivers license reinstatement fees, and if required, ignition interlock installation and monthly fees. • "If you're drunk and drive carefully, you won't get caught" There are more ways to get caught driving drunk than just the obvious bad driving. Checkpoints are popping up in towns and cities everywhere, and law enforcement is constantly cracking down to stop drunk driving. • "I drive better after a drink or two." One drink can cloud your thinking, slow your reflexes and dim your vision. Even with just a small amount of alcohol, it can impair your judgment. This puts you and others on the road at risk of death.
For more information, visit www.ktsro.org.